Monday, July 11, 2016

Day Book: July 11/16

Outside my window......my lavender is in full bloom. It is sunny but hazy. There is a very slight breeze.

I am thinking.....that my sister and I have very different relationships with my mother right now. My sister  seems much more relaxed and accepting of my mother's situation than I am. She lets the things my mother says run off of her back like water off a duck. I don't. I am so impatient and I let my mother push my buttons. I get so frustrated with what she says. I know that these are things that she truly believes, but it hurts so much to have to hear her repeat these lies over and over. On the other hand, I am very patient with her slowness and the forgetfulness and the constant questions over and over. I make sure she is dressed and in the dining room for meals and I make sure she takes ALL of her medication when she is supposed to. I guess we each do our part in looking after her.

I am thankful for......my sister taking my mother home with her for the weekend. My mother seems very happy and relaxed with a new haircut and fresh manicure and getting out of the Retirement Home for a holiday. I am unable to do this for my mother right now, so I am totally grateful for this.

From the kitchen.....I have not been baking anything since I've been back. I have pork chops and 500 gms of bacon defrosting. Dinner will be pork chops with scalloped potatoes I am thinking. I will fry up the bacon for the freezer. It will be there to add to recipes or to make sandwiches or omelets with. I made a crock pot yesterday of home baked beans and froze in smaller containers. Last night's dinner was butter chicken with mushrooms and peas over baked potatoes.

I am wearing..... royal blue capris and a white T-shirt with a colourful picture of flowers, butterflies and a garden trowel. It asks the question "Can you dig it?"

I am creating.....some birthday cards. The postal workers were NOT locked out this morning because of some movement in contract negotiations over the weekend. There is still the possibility of strike or lockout, but I had better be prepared just in case.

I am going.......nowhere in the near future. My Sweetie took a short shopping list with him this morning as he had to pick up a few new prescriptions. He spent time in the Emergency ward again yesterday. His gout is back.

I am hoping....to pack up a few more items to take to the Thrift Store. I need to be ruthless. I may join in the online Challenge to purge ten items a week.

I am hearing.....some robins calling in the back yard and the occasional traffic noise outside my front window.  The dog is snoring at my feet.

Around the house....the dishwasher has been unloaded and is almost ready to run a second load of dirty dishes and pots that were left soaking overnight. I have a huge load of laundry waiting to be hung outside on the line, and I have another load of whites and lights that need to be washed.  I sprayed my upstairs bathroom sink and toilet with my homemade Miracle Spray and now I need to wash them down.

One of my favourite things.......the past couple of weeks is my pitcher of iced tea that I make every morning.

A few plans for the rest of this week.....are the same as last week. That is to find a balance between indoor housework and outdoor yard work.

Here is a picture I am sharing.......my lavender.



4 comments:

  1. That lavender is gorgeous! I love lavender, both as a flower and as a scent.

    I'm sorry that your mother isn't well. I would struggle with that, too. Although you are right -- you and your sister bring different gifts to that relationship and they are both important. <3

    I am totally surprised by how well I am doing in my decluttering challenge. Ten is just the right amount of items to not be overwhelming but still feel like I've accomplished something.

    I'm glad you stopped by earlier today to check out my day book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking that any decluttering I do this week will be relatively easy. However, as the weeks start to pass it may get more and more difficult. Ha. I hate to throw anything out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lavender is breath-taking! It must smell so nice! Do you dry it and use it in sachets in your linen closet and/or undies drawer? That's what my grandma used to do. I wish we could grow true lavender here but it won't grow in my zone, apparently.

    I'm glad you had time with your mom, even though it was stressful. It's good that your sister can step in and help and that you complement one another. I'm sorry your mom says hurtful things. Mine does too. Mine doesn't lie, she just thinks that honesty is the best policy (and I agree) but that tact is reserved for friends, not family. So it can be very hard. Yet, I'm very much like her, to my dismay, lol. But my mom doesn't apologize for anything and I do, when I feel that I have been wrong. Well, you don't pick your parents so what can you do? I hope that your mom's partner is better and that your Sweetie is too!

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister attended a meeting this afternoon at the hospital. They strongly recommend that the two of them (my mom and her partner)are moved into assisted living. So-o-o, my mom will be living with my sister until they can find the right accommodations. My step-dad will remain in hospital for the rest of this month. I hope for my sister's sake that this will not take too long. I don't envy her position.

    ReplyDelete